Botany is the scientific study of plants. Botany began with early human efforts to identify edible, medicinal and poisonous plants, making it one of the oldest branches of science. The Department maintains a Botanical garden spread over 1 acre of landsince inception, a treasure of plant wealth, medicinal plants, and conservatory of rare, endangered species, trees and shrubs. Which is catering to the needs of young botanists of today, attended by skilled gardeners.
It is one of the better known botanical gardens in the north Gujarat region attached to a university Hemchandracharya North Gujarat University,Patan. Special attractions in the garden with nearly 157 species of plants; the water garden consisting of lily-ponds and vegetated with species of Nelumbium, Nymphaea, Trapa, Hydrilla etc. andalgal species. Cactus-House, Fern-House, Bambusetum also developed. The botanical garden, besides serving as the repository of the source material for botanical studies.
Botanical research focuses on plant population groups, evolution, physiology, structure, and systematics. Sub disciplines of botany include agronomy, forestry, horticulture, and paleobotany.
2 Years (UP TO B.Sc. Sem. IV)
AIMS AND OBJECTIVE:
The aim of the Department of Botany is to provide a firm foundation in every aspect of Botany and to explain a broad spectrum of modern trends in Botany and to develop experimental, observational, computational skills also which lead him as an ambassador of sustainable development of our country. Produce highly qualified botanists who have a broad knowledge of modern and applied plant science and excellent career prospects. The Department also undertakes fundamental and applied research in plant science and field visits to explore floral wealth and to establish the intricate relations of plant and environment.
- Know the importance and scope of the discipline
- Inculcate interest in and love of nature with its myriad living forms
- Impart knowledge of Science as the basic objective of Education
- Develop a scientific attitude to make students open minded, critical and curious
- Develop an ability to work on their own and to make them fit for the society
- Expose themselves to the diversity amongst life forms
- To develop skill in practical work, experiments, equipments and laboratory use along with collection and interpretation of biological materials and data
- Make aware of natural resources and environment and the importance ofconserving it.
- Develop ability for the application of the acquired knowledge in the fields of life so as to make our country self-reliant and self sufficient
- Appreciate and apply ethical principles to biological science research and studies
The results of botanical research increase and improve our supply of medicines, foods, fibers, building materials, and other plant products. Conservationists use botanical knowledge to help manage parks, forests, range lands, and wilderness areas. Public health and environmental protection professionals depend on their understanding of plant science to help solve pollution problems.
There are a variety of jobs awaiting students graduating in the field botany from university/college, as well as opportunities for existing botany related workers in the industry. As within all fields, there will always be opportunities in entry-level positions and management/research positions for the more experienced. The following example provides an insight in what qualifications could be necessary for positions in general.
- different industries like pharmaceutical, paint and pigment, natural dye, bio pesticides
- Government sector etc.
- post graduate studies (M.Sc.) & could go for other professional courses like M.B.A., M.L.T. etc.
- Diploma course like Diploma in medical Lab. Technology (P.G.M.L.T.), D.Pharm., Diploma in Biomedical Engineering etc.
- Forest related jobs like R.F.O.
- Lab Technicians
- National and state level exams for research fellowship &lectureship
- Private sectors like- Pharmaceuticals, Ayurveda Companies, Agro industries, Life Science Industries, bio fertilizer companies etc.
- High School Botany teacher
- Environmental Consultant
- Park Ranger
- Plant Pathologist
- Farming Consultant
- Nursery Manager
- Plant explorer
- Park ranger/Forester
- Nursery manager
A person with mathematics background
- Systems ecology
- Developmental botany
A person with chemistry background
- Plant biochemist
- Chemo taxonomist
- Plant physiologist
- Molecular biologist
- Plant pathologist
Other related job options
- Environmental consultant
- High school botany teacher
- Farming consultant
- Ecological consulting companies
- Forest Service
- Federal Agencies
- Colleges, Universities and Plant Research Centres
- Pharmaceutical, food, seed and nursery, fruit growers, biological supply houses and biotechnology firms
- Marine/freshwater biologist
- Biological photographer
- US Forest Service employee
- State Park naturalist, college campus grounds administrator, environmental impact specialist, Greenhouse technician
- Agricultural Research Service
- Botanical gardens and arboretums, such as the National Arboretum
- Petrochemical, chemical, and lumber and paper industries
- Environmental and biotechnical regulatory agencies
- National Park Service Employee
- National forestry or conservation expert
- Science columnist
- Landscape management and design
- Consultant, botanist, horticulturist, ecologist, plant specialist
- Bio-Diversity Conservation
- PROJECT WORK/ FIELD WORK
- Survey Report
- Study Tour
- Written test,
- MCQ based Quiz,
- Group discussion,
- Evolution with respect to knowledge/ understanding/skill/ higher order thinking skills
Course Ware (2 Years)
|Semester I||CC BOT-111||ES BOT-111 Plant Tissue Culture
ES BOT-112 Plant Breeding
ES BOT-113 Horticulture
|Semester II||CC BOT-122||Botany|
|Semester III||CC-BOT-211 (Morphology, Gymnosperm and Palaeobotany, Angiosperm Taxonomy, Cell Biology)||ES BOT-211 DNA-a molecule of Life
ES BOT-212 Water quality analysis
ES BOT-213 Biodiversity
|CC-BOT-212 (Plant Physiology, Plant Ecology, Microbial world, Genetics)|
|Semester IV||CC-BOT-221 (Morphology and Angiosperms, Angiosperm families, Plant Anatomy, Bio-statistics)|
|CC-BOT-222 (Angiosperm Embryology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Plant Physiology)|
|Click Here For More Details|
|Second Year B.Sc||Paper-III||Plant Physiology & Ecology|
|Paper-IV||Development of Plants and their utilization|
|Paper-V||Biology of Cryptograms|
Ph. D. is pursuing under the Guidance of Dr. N. K. Patel